Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wedding Gown Inspiration


One of my favorite things to do when I have a few minutes - or am just too tired to move away from the computer - is to go on Etsy and look up vintage patterns. I buy them when I can to add to my collection, but I mainly "favorite" them because I can usually just look at the picture and figure out how to make it anyway.

I feel like I am heading back to my custom dressmaking - which means, I hope, that I'm going to be able to focus again on the dieing art of making clothing that actually enhances you and makes you look your best. One of my favorite things, of course, is Bridal. Not only is it one of the most important days of your life, but you can really make a statement about who you are and indulge your fantasy about wearing a silhouette that you probably wont be able to wear on a day to day basis. You get to safely play dress up and its ok.

So I thought I would suggest to all of you who are looking for dresses with a vintage feel that you go to Etsy for gown ideas. You can take an idea from one dress and apply to another. Or you can get inspiration, or you can take the pattern to an experienced dressmaker and have them make you something similar that will fit you. The vintage pattern doesn't have to be in your size if you know someone who has pattern making skills.

I can grade a pattern to size. And its a lot easier for me if I have something to work with already - hence my extensive pattern collection! I always make mock ups of your dress first and we always have fittings. This ensures the fit that makes all the difference in the world.!

Its also best to plan your gown/outfit a year in advance so that your dressmaker can take the time she needs - and we always juggle projects - so planning is key to success! I would say that 6 months should be the latest you could consider..............even a "simple" design is something that has to be fitted and constructed. There really is no such thing as "simple" in couture.



kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

1 comment:

cindy said...

i love the second one! i find vintage patterns at thrift shops and bring them home too. i found a fabulous one that i love, but i no longer do bridal.