Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Heart Albuquerque!

The first stop in Salome's Suitcase's journey through the Southwest was at Flo and Duane Barger's house in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where we got bacon and eggs for breakfast and a hot shower. Flo and Duane have a beautiful store called Old World Imports. They carry AmaZing rugs and textiles, and jewelry! Its such a gorgeous store and it made a wonderful setting for our trunk show that was very well attended! They also have an online Store - Tribal Souk - great stuff! Beautiful silver jewelry!






The Bargers have hosted many dancers on their way through the Belly Dance Trail as it is now being called. Flo's troupe is The Rogue Bindis.  Just this last weekend, they hosted Zoe Jakes and Elizabeth Strong. I was blown away by their warmth and generosity. I got to see old friends, ran into an ex San Franciscan  who remembered Rose and I from Haight Street (small world): Revolver - a lovely vintage store - and made new friends while we were visiting. I fell in love with Albuquerque - much to my surprise. I had no idea what to expect, but people were so nice, parking and antiques were cheap and plentiful and the food was great. What was there not to love! I hope I can go back one day!









We stopped again at Flo's on the way back and did some serious shopping. My biggest score: a bodice, skirt, and petticoat from the mid 1800's. $28. Perfect condition. I swear its the real deal. But even if were a reproduction from a later period, its great. I'll write more about this later.



I heart Albuquerque! Thanks so much for your hospitality, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

No comments: