Saturday, January 16, 2010

Donner Fodder


We got hit by that cold snap that came down from Canada (thank you, Canada. Love ya..but..........) while on the way to Texas. Our rv had no heat. We were freezing. We couldnt get warm. I got grouchy. I lost it. Ive never been so cold in my whole entire life - and my toes were cold for days. I could feel myself shut down. I always prided myself, all my life, on coming from pioneer stock. But I'll be damned......that gene for survival flew out the window on the day of my birth. I would have been the first one eaten by the Donner Party.

After I posted and read this again, I realized that I made everything that Im wearing in the photos. The green sweater with the hood and extra long (ok-one is a wee bit longer than the other, but who cares) sleeves. The muffler, the fleece coat. Im layered underneath with a vest that I found at Ross and had applied trim, appliques and buttons on the back - and then an oppossum fur vest over that - not made by me - but probably saved me on this trip. I slept in the thing almost every night. Im not an advocate for killing animals for their fur, but I found it at a thrift store and it has kept me warm. Thank you little possums!!!!!


kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

2 comments:

cindy said...

brrrr...looks really cold! we used to go to donner lake as kids. it kinda freaked me out, knowing the donner story, especially when i was only 10 or 12 at the time! anyway, i noticed the red drips on the window behind you...???! lol!

Kathleen Crowley said...

omg - thats too funny - I forgot all about those drips when I was writing that! We borrowed the RV all decked out with fake blood dripping down the windows. We had skulls and shrunken heads........we got lots of looks!