Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ode To Times Gone By




My brother has been working with my father to compile his memoirs into an interesting blog of note about times that came before and will never be again. Its a heap of memories and data about the old days on the prairie in South Dakota - growing up without electricity. Hungry wild cats trying to rip the roof off the sod house to get at whats inside, Native Americans, Cowboys, good guys and bad guys, The Great Depression, happiness, World Wars, a bit of Little House On The Prairie, a slice of American life, living with less and not knowing any different, the consciousness of the day for better or for worse.

I find it very interesting and Ive found out a lot about my dad that I didn't know before. Its odd that you can live with a person for 18 years and know so little about him. When I hear about how tough times are today - and they are for our modern sensibilities - I like to be reminded that perhaps we have too much and we don't appreciate the things we really really need. But I'm happy for this little island of family lore and for those with an interest of times gone by, you might enjoy!

Thunderbutte.com

Ode To Times Gone By

No comments: