Monday, April 18, 2011

Dr. Seuss Is Why I Cant Be Normal

You cant plunk your kid down in front of a Dr. Seuss movie and expect that they are going to ever be the same again.
I found my favorite old movie from back in the day at Big Lots for $3.00, and Ive watched it about 6 times this past week. It was one of my very favorite movies as a kid, and since this was back in the day before anything could be recorded or purchased -  you had to wait for it to be aired on TV (oh shudder the thought) - and it seemed that this didn't happen often. .Then it just seemed to disappear into obscurity until I unearthed it at Big Lots.  This is one of those movies that remains in your subconscious all your life and there is nothing you can do about it. It molds you and influences how your perceive and view the world. You either loved it or hated it. I loved it and it always disturbed me - as a good nightmare should.

I believe I tried to recreate this very outfit subconsciously many times!

The 50's were a weird world that everyone pretended was normal. We pretended so hard that our world was normal that we believed it. It was the beginning of a down slide into progress and technology that we could harness but couldn't control very well - because as we have all witnessed recently, anything can and will happen. The 5,000 fingers of Dr. T was a perfect symbolic example of a little kids' dreams vs. reality in the 50 - ala Dr, Seuss! And it amazes me how much of this movie molded how I am creatively when left to my own devices. And it shows where our fears of "the atomic" appeared in our modern world.

The mother's prison bedroom all draped in pale pink and cartoon bows? I'm still always recreating that somehow. And the fact that it was actually a prison? Well, I don't even want to go into that. The 50's were weird repressed times for most.............




I'm pretty sure that it was this movie that planted in this little girl from the boring suburbs the concepts of flamboyancy and the attractiveness of being Over The Top. Or maybe I was just this way naturally and luckily I found a peirce of work that spoke to me and managed to disturb me at the same time.

Come on and dress me, dress me, dress me, in my finest array!
Cause just in case you haven't heard
Today is doe-me-doe day!

Dress me in my silver garters, dress me in my diamond studs
Cause I'm going doe-me-doe-ing in my doe-me-doe duds!
I want my undulating undies with the maribou frills!
I want my beautiful bolero with the porcupine quills!
I want my purple nylon girdle with the orange blossom buds
Cause I'm going doe-me-doe-ing in my doe-me-doe duds!

Come on and dress me! dress me! dress me!
In my peek-a-boo blouse
With the lovely inner lining made of Chesapeake mouse!
I want my polka-dotted dickie with the crinolin fringe
For I'm going doe-me-doe-ing on a doe-me-doe binge!

I want my lavender spats and in addition to them
I want my honey-colored gosset with the herring bone hem
I want my softest little jacket made of watermelon suede
And my long persimmon placket with the platinum braid
I want my leg of mutton sleeves and in addition to those
I want my cutie chamois booties with the leopard skin bows
I want my pink brocaded bodice with the floofy fuzzy ruffs
And my gorgeous bright blue bloomers
With the monkey feather cuffs
I want my organdy snood and in addition to that
I want my chiffon Mother Hubbard lined with Hudson Bay rat
Dress me up from top to bottom, dress me up from tip to toe
Dress me up in silk and spinach for today is doe-me-doe day!
DOE-ME-DOE DAY!

So come and dress me in the blossoms of a million pink trees!
Come on and dress me up in liverwurst! and camembert cheese!
Come on and dress me up in pretzels, dress me up in bock beer suds! Cause I'm gooooo-ing
--doe-me-dooooooooo-ing--
in my doe-me-doe duds!






No comments: