Friday, February 11, 2011

Just Your Average Fabric Shopping Day In San Francisco

Unsinkable Molly and I went fabric shopping in town the other week. She has a big new loft and needs curtains for her dance studio. She also has a lot of bright windows that need to have the sun blocked out in the morning.......a lot of yardage is required, so off we went to Fabrix and Discount Fabrics.
Fabrix on Clement St. should always be your first stop on your journey through the fabric world here in in SF. It is very hit and miss - you never know what you are going to find. Sometimes nothing - sometimes you hit the jackpot! We didn't come up with much this time, although I found some cotton lycra in colors that I don't normally run into in these parts. And Molly found some great stuff for new dance pantaloons. You wont find many wools or the nicer fabrics - but like I said...its hit or miss. You just never know what you are going to find. I usually end up with yards of  bargains that I had no intention of looking for!

At $2.99 - $3.99 a yard, you cant beat it. I always head here first when possible. Ive found amazing deals!

And since it was Chinese New Year, the lions were out on the street chasing away the demons and bringing the community good luck -I felt so blessed to be fabric shopping while the lions were dancing around us in the aisles!
We hit up Satin Moon while we were on Clement st. This place is the the exact polar opposite of Fabrix - a whole other world of silks, brocades, fine velvets, novelty cottons, and upholstery textiles that you wont even find at Britex.(Britex is a whole other world - do not act like an imbecile when in there - they smell fear) Not for the feint of heart. Quality and service. They also carry patterns. Obviously we were not shopping for our bargain fabrics there, but I like to take people in to drool. I prefer shopping for Bridal materials here when possible.

We found what we were looking for at Discount Fabrics on 11th and Howard. Molly chose a great tree branch print which will be perfect in such a huge space! The boyfriend nixed the yardage on the right - I guess I cant blame him, but this would make an amazing costume! (that isn't him there in the background - I don't know who that was) We had to put it back as it wasn't in the budget that day. She went online to find the blackout fabric that we needed as DF didn't carry it wide enough.
Discount Fabrics doesn't often have the knit fabrics that I use in my garments, but I still can find many a treasure here. And if you need yardage at a reasonable price, this is the place to go!
And while we didn't go here that day, I need to mention Fabric Outlet on Mission st. and 17th. This is a large underground fabric store that carries a large variety of textiles and notions. Sign up on their mailing list so that you don't miss their huge 40% off sales!!!!!!!!!!!!


kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

No comments: