Thursday, July 2, 2009

PRIDE 2009



Every year, FatChanceBellyDance and students get asked to open for the Dykes On Bikes at the start of the San Francisco Pride parade on Market Street. This always means getting up very early in the morning and there are not a whole lot of viewers out yet, but the DOB love us and the press surrounds us like vultures - its a photo op fest!

At first it didnt seem like a whole lot of dancers would be able to show up this year, so I volunteered. I dont dance much anymore but this one is always fun and while we all want to do our best, dancing on concrete isnt easy and I figured I wouldnt be the worst dancer! It is always such a flurry of color and drama that a little loose technique isnt going to offend anyone!

But so many showed up for the live drumming......it was a blast..........



While I was in one quartet, we started moving around and the lead dancer was heard to say ........"head for the biggest camera!" It was one of the funniest moments ever! She was right, of course! Ok - it was Kristine Adams, my room mate - photographer extroidenare. So she would know.........


Above is Kristine heading for the biggest camera!


photos: Sean Vallely


So to make a long story short, I and my friends got into an SFGate photo that day and if I never do this again, I have a nice momento to mark the occasion.



kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

1 comment:

Lynne Rutter said...

kathleen you are so photogenic! what beautiful pictures!