Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Special Copycat


Today was a big day for me. I wrote my first cease and desist letter to a knock off designer in Canada. I gave her the benefit of the doubt - perhaps she isnt aware of how wrong it is to steal a designer's design, mass produce it overseas and claim it as your own. But I know she goes through my customers' closet and takes my things to copy. I also know she goes to Tribal Fest and buys from designers and has them made across the water. Its wrong. She knows it and she justifies her actions. Im giving her time to rectify the situation. I will take no prisoners.

kc.costumecouture

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My studio mate is a paralegal and designer in the same process, let me know if you want to talk to her! Good luck you have a strong, strong case!
HN

Elizabeth said...

That is horrible! I can can understand sewing something similar for your personal use (I admit to doing that) but to sell it as your design that is beyond belief! Maybe she's just dumb and will stop after your letter...I hope anyway!

Kathleen Crowley said...

To this woman's credit, she moved very quickly to get in contact with me after I tried to contact her and we are trying to work some solution out to this dilemma. She took the photos down and I want to believe that she did this in ignorance. Its hard to tell, but she seems like a nice person who isnt up on who is doing what. BUT that being said, we should all just do our homework and be conscious - a pant silhouette can be changed in many ways!

Andria said...

Ripping off original designs is so common. So difficult and costly to enforce copyright. As designers, we all need to keep it fresh and stay a step ahead of the rip-off "artists." Lucky this gal even responded to you. When I've contacted Etsy people ripping of my KatsaraYarns designs (especially my signature ruffle nuno scarves) I usually just get blown off. Obnoxious and frustrating. http://etsylounge@blogspot.com

Kathleen Crowley said...

It is frustrating and I sure feel everyone's pain in this. I hope some kind of law can happen to protect designers one day. I dont know it could be done to the benefit of everyone.........but the whole copying thing makes me sick.