Friday, January 11, 2008

I Loves Me a Good Flapper Dress With Soul



Connie Champagnes' grandmother was a flapper. It must be in the genes.......
I repaired her granny's dress. Fixed some rips and reattached the waistband. The dress was in pretty excellent condition and it fits Connie to perfection, but we just wanted it to be able to withstand a few performances without disintegrating onstage.

I wish this was a better photo because the construction was fun to examine. Gran made it herself as many women did back in the day before clothes were so easily mass produced.


Souless mass production.
Did I say that?

kc.costumecouture@gmail.com

1 comment:

Lynne Rutter said...

my grandmother told me you could buy dresses as "kits"- all of the fabric was just basted together and it was up to you to fit it and finish it. the concept of wearing something "off the rack" only applied to overcoats.

amazing, eh?